This ancient traditional technique of Ayurveda know as ‘gandusha’ has been recently commonly brought to light as Oil Pulling. A practice which has been a health ritual in India for over 5000 years.
As the oil is retained in the mouth, it mixes with the saliva becoming thinner in consistency and white in colour. This subtly draws toxins from the local area and the blood by the enzymatic stimulation and lipophilic action, collecting all the accumulated fat soluble toxins ready for expulsion beyond in the mouth and beyond. If the oil is still yellow it could indicate that the pulling needs to be done for longer. Cured sesame is widely used in Ayuveda for this and numerous other treatments for it therapeutic actions on the body.
The health benefits for using this technique are plentiful. Here are a few of to get you thinking:
- Brilliant for oral healthcare, preventing gum disease, cavities, firmly rooted teeth, heals bleeding gums, prevents sensitivity of the teeth and tooth aches.
- Keeps breath freshen by removing local toxins
- Pulls toxins and removed mucous from the mouth, throat and head
- Improved taste and digestive metabolism
- prevents dryness in mouth & throat
- Invokes a clearer mind, reduces headaches
- Helps keep sinuses clear and healthy
- Strengthens jaw and voice
Try it for yourself:
Do this technique in the morning before Breakfast and on empty stomach.
After brushing teeth, and using a tongue scrapper. Take a table spoon or body temperature cured sesame oil or coconut oil. Retain in the mouth swooshing gently from side to side for 10-12 minutes and then expel the oil. Simple, easy, inexpensive, harmless and effective.
please note: this used should not be swallowed as it has become laced with toxins
Reference: Charaka Samhita. Ch 5. V78 -80 (Ayurvedic classical text)